Community GuidelinesThe dos and don'ts of our community
What can I post?
You can post a specific request for help with most things. These can include but are not limited to:
- Favours (e.g. DIY, lifts);
- Learning skills (e.g. languages, guitar);
- Borrowing things (e.g. book, ladder);
- Support (e.g. coaching or mentoring, friendship or listening);
- Getting advice and recommendations;
- Getting volunteers for a charity or cause.
Whether it involves cat sitting or learning a new language, moving a sofa or lending a hand at a charity event, we have seen the need requested and fulfilled. All we ask is that you use good judgement and ask for help that is reasonable to ask of a friend or neighbour.
What can't I post?
Please take a note of the following things you cannot post:
- No money – Helpfulpeeps is all about sharing our time and energy with each other, so we ask members not to ask for financial help.
- No offers – posts are a place to ask for help so please refrain from making offers to other Helpfulpeeps through a post. Instead, you can offer help when you see a specific request that you can help with.
- No linking out to fundraising websites (e.g. GoFundMe, JustGiving);
- No posts that can be considered advertising or promoting a business;
- Nothing offensive or illegal;
- No spam, adult content or abuse of any kind will be tolerated.
All posts are at the discretion of Helpfulpeeps moderators at all times.
How can I maximise my chances of receiving help?
- Make sure your profile has an appropriate photo – it goes along way towards building trust.
- Specify your location on the post – this makes it easier for potential helpers to discover your post based on their location.
- Use friendly language — keep in mind you are asking for a favour. Posts that come across as being friendly, polite or funny have a much higher response rate.
Some examples of well-written posts that all received help include:
“I’m looking for a cat lover in Bristol who would be able to feed our two amazing house cats this Saturday late afternoon/evening AND Sunday morning (we are going away for one night). Not only will you get karma, but you’ll get loads of cat snuggles too. If you’re interested in being a Helpfulpeep with our cats in the future too that would be amazing — they would prefer knowing the person that came to visit them :-)”
“Any Bristol based helpfulpeeps willing to teach me how to ride a bicycle? No one believes me but I genuinely cannot ride a bicycle! I’ve never actually had a proper go except for maybe once when I was a kid and now it feel like it’s time I learn this skill.”
“Hello there, new on this amazing help thing. Is there anyone who is coming to London from Bristol in the next few days? I would need someone to collect a small anorak from a friend in Bristol and take it to London. We will need it for a show next week. Thanks in advance.”